Skip to main content



For Prospective Students:
Phone: 202-885-6500
Fax: 202-885-1025

For Current or Continuing Students:
Phone: 202-885-8000

Contact Information

To receive federal aid or institutional need-based aid, you must be either a U.S. citizen or eligible permanent resident. (Read AU's commitment to undocumented students.)

If you are asked to verify your status as a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, acceptable documentation includes one of the following:

  • Documentation indicating U.S. citizenship: U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, certificate of citizenship, naturalization, or birth abroad.

  • Alien Registration Receipt Card: I-151 or I-551 (front and back).

  • Departure Record: I-94 or CBP I-94A. Must be stamped "Processed for I-551" with expiration date or "Temporary Form I-551" with appropriate information filled in.

  • Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV), which serves as a temporary I-551.

All other eligible non-citizens (refugees, asylees, parolees, and other special circumstances) must provide written documentation from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) that they hold a citizenship status approved for the receipt of federal financial aid. This documentation will then be matched with DHS records.

Financial Aid Deadlines

Early Decision I: FAFSA and CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE: Nov. 15
Early Decision II: FAFSA and CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE: Jan. 15
Regular Decision Freshman: FAFSA and CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE: Jan. 15
Transfer: FAFSA and CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE: May 1
Current (Continuing) AU Students: FAFSA: May 1

More about DEADLINES

International Student and Scholar Services

AU continues to value international exchange and welcomes students from all over the world.

More on ISSS